Mugwhys Vintage: Shabby Chic Sweet 16th Crafting Gifts

Old Eagle Heights

Old Eagle Heights

01 September, 2012

Shabby Chic Sweet 16th Crafting Gifts


A good friend of ours has asked me to help source pre-loved items and re-purpose or restore them to help decorate her daughter's bedroom as a present for her 16th birthday. She wanted a shabby chic theme using the colours pink, white and black. She didn't want to spend too much and she knew I liked to go thrift/op shopping and of course I was ever so happy to oblige.

Firstly, I went through my craft supplies and was able to source most the things I needed.  I only had to buy the cushion inserts, which are in great, clean pre-loved condition and the lamp base and shade, which cost me around $5.00 for the lot. Bargain!  I even found the rose patterned bone china mug and glass coaster in amongst the things I have ready to give or sell on.  I also rescued a picture we were about to toss out and an old chucky timber frame that I also had ready to re-purpose.

This is what I have come up with so far.  I’m not sure what else to make at this stage, but I still have about 6 days to add to it.  I do so love a project.

These are some of  the supplies I started with.  I only had to buy the lamp and cushion inserts, I had everything else.  Not in this picture is the frame and framed picture that I also already had
 


This is what I have made so far.

Two cushions with removable covers.

3 coat hangers with matching covers (they match each other and the cushions).

The pretty rose patterned bone china mug and glass drink coaster.

This is the old frame (one of 20 or so I have) that I attached a piece of padded corrugated plastic board and covered it with pink crushed velvet and the lace is covering two strips of tightened elastic to hold in place the things you can't or don't want to spear with a pin.

This is the picture, actually a print of a photo of some animals, well past it's use by date.  I covered the back of the picture board with pink paper (which didn't look too good on it own, thank goodness I had planned to cover it anyway).  Then I stretched the lace over the pink paper, once it had dried and replaced it behind the glass in the frame that  I painted and gold rubbed and buffed.  I put 3 brass hooks along the base to hang necklaces and 3 rows of tightened brass wire to hang earrings from. With the glass still in place the earrings don't catch on the lace.

 
 
I  gold rubbed and buffed the base and very lightly and roughly painted the shade the same colour as the earring and necklace picture.



and All Star Blogger Party here

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing from you. Mugwhy