Mugwhys Vintage: The Jessica Tree, Prune Cake Recipe and Wild Mushrooms everywhere

Old Eagle Heights

Old Eagle Heights

03 March, 2012

The Jessica Tree, Prune Cake Recipe and Wild Mushrooms everywhere

When the rain stops long enough we are off to pick some avocados and limes.  The lime tree is weighed down with big juicy limes.   Our niece Jessica planted it when she visited with Bob’s parents. 



The frog population is alive and strong here on the property.  We spotted this tiny (and I mean tiny) green frog just the other day.


There are heaps of wild mushrooms all over the place.  With all this rain there are literally hundreds of them around the place and dozens of varieties.  We have no idea what any of these are.  I'm sure the ones below wouldn't be mushrooms but toadstools and so not edible, they also stink.  I wouldn't eat them anyway.  Phewwww!




The Expo Gold is in bloom at the moment and looks wonderful.


The Tibouchina is also in flower right now.  The purple of the Tibouchina and the yellow of the Expo Gold next to each other is lovely. 


Just tried a new recipe, well an old recipe really.  I have had it in my scrapbook/cookbook for several years, but this is the first time I've actually cooked it.  Yummmmmm I used the brandy soaked prunes I got for Christmas, double Yummmmmmm.  Wish we had some cream or ice cream in house, maybe tomorrow.

The prunes in brandy I made for Christmas, the brandy syrup is just too yummy.
The prunes have just soaked up the brandy.

Cake in the oven.  Smells great.  Very nutmegy and cinnimony and
of course brandy'ish.  Yum.
The recipe in my scrapbook/cookbook.  I used brandy soaked
prunes I got for Christmas, wholegrain flour and raw sugar.
Yummmmm and the cake was really good too.
PRUNE CAKE RECIPE

12-15 prunes
185g raw sugar
125g butter
2 eggs
125g self raising wholegrain flour
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon each ground cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg
Place prunes in a small saucepan with water just to cover and simmer until soft and the water is reduced to about two tablespoons.  Set aside to cool then remove stones if necessary.  Reserve liquid.  (I used the brandy soaked prunes I had made for Christmas presents instead).
Beat sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.  Beat in two tablespoons of reserved liquid (I used 1 tablespoon of the brandy/prune syrup and 1 tablespoon of water).  Sift flour, cocoa, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg together.  Whisk flour mixture lightly into egg mixture.  Turn batter into a greased and floured 20cm cake tin.  I normally use a spring form pan and line the tin with baking paper, the paper is then composted, saving on calories and mess, you gotta love that.  Place the prunes in a circle on the surface and bake in a preheated to 180oC oven for about 45 minutes or until cake tests cooked.  Turn out onto rack to cool.  Serve with whipped cream (there go the calories you saved using baking paper).

Down the back of the property at Guanaba Creek.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing from you. Mugwhy